About me

Hello, I'm Toby, I live in Toulouse, France. This is my blog for sharing recipes with my friends and family around the world I do this with my mum. I hope you enjoy cooking and eating the food as much as my family!

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Fruited Banana Loaf

Serves 8-10
125g/4oz margarine, plus extra for greasing
250g/8oz self-raising flour
175g/6oz caster sugar
125g/4oz sultanas
60g/2oz walnuts, roughly chopped
125g/4oz glacé cherries, quartered, rinsed and dried
2 eggs, beaten
500g/1lb bananas, weight with peel, peeled and mashed (this equates to 2 bananas)
1. Grease the loaf tin and line the bottom with greaseproof paper. (I use a tin liner which works just as well).
2. Put the flour into a bowl, add the margarine, and rub in with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the caster sugar, sultanas, chopped walnuts, and glacé cherries, and mix well.
3. Add the eggs and mashed bananas and stir the mixture until well blended. Spoon in
to the prepared tin.
4. Bake in a preheated over at 160°C (325°F, Gas 3) for about 1 1/4 hours until well risen and firm to the touch. A fine skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf should come out clean.
5. Leave the loaf to cool slightly in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack. Leave the loaf to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Tip: this is a great recipe for using up old bananas! Also, after about 45 minutes/1 hour check on the cake. If the top is looking nice and golden or light brown, cover it with some foil for the remaining cooking time to stop the top turning too dark or burning.

Posted by Sarah Purvis

No comments:

Post a Comment