About me

Hello, I'm Toby, I live in Toulouse, France. This is my blog for sharing recipes with my friends and family around the world I do this with my mum. I hope you enjoy cooking and eating the food as much as my family!

Monday 19 December 2011

Spicy steamed pudding

This falls into the category of "feed a Christmas cold". Lighter and spicier than a traditional spotted dick, this is still a proper British winter pudding.

2 tbsp golden syrup
125g butter or margerine
125g caster or light brown sugar
2 eggs
175g SR flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
grated rind of 1 orange
1 tbsp orange juice
90g sultanas
40g preserved ginger, finely chopped
1 eating apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated

Thoroughly grease a 850ml/1 1/2 pint pudding basin. Put the syrup into the pudding basin.

Cream the butter/marge and sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, following each with a spoonful of flower.

Sift the remaining flour with the cinnamon or mixed spice and fold into the mixture, followed by the orange rind and juice. Fold in the sultanas, then the ginger and apple.

Turn the mixture into the basin and level the top. Cover with greaseproof paper, then foil, making sure both are securely fastened with string. You can also tie some string over the top, which makes it easier to lift out when cooked.

Put the pudding basin into a saucepan half-filled with boiling water, cover with a lid, then steam for 1 1/2 hours, adding more water to the pan as necessary. Do not allow to boil dry!

When cooked, turn the pudding out onto a plate, and serve with custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment