About me

Hello, I'm Toby, I live in Toulouse, France. This is my blog for sharing recipes with my friends and family around the world I do this with my mum. I hope you enjoy cooking and eating the food as much as my family!

Monday 23 January 2012

Feta and Mediterranean Vegetable tart

Serves 8

1 large red pepper, deseeded and quartered
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into large bite-sized chunks
3 medium courgettes, cut into large bite-sized chunks
8 medium well-flavoured tomatoes
8tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
8 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
350g (12oz) Greek feta, patted dry and cut into bite sized chunks
5 large free range eggs
300ml (half a pint) double cream
2 cloves of garlic, peeled crushed and finely chopped


Shortcrust pasty for the lining or you can cheat and buy the pastry

Line a 12-13 inch tart tin with the pastry (line with baking beans) and cook in a preheated oven for 15 minutes (200c or gas mark 7)

Remove the beans and and cook the pastry for a further 5 minutes. The pastry should look dry, but blond rather than brown.

Toss the vegetables in the oil and arrange on a baking tray. Scatter over the thyme leaves, season and put the tray in the oven. Toast the vegetables for 30 - 40 minutes until they are soft and gilded around the edges. Drain off and discard some of the juices halfway through.

Remove the trays and cool the vegetables thoroughly, then cut the red pepper into large bite-sized pieces.

Distribute the vegetables and feta evenly in the pastry case. Whisk the eggs, cream and garlic together and carefully pour it between the chunks. Don't overfill the pastry case, as the custard will stick to the tin, and the vegetables and feta look prettier peeking out. Place the tart carefully on a middle shelf in the oven and bake it for 25-30 minutes, until the custard has just set and the feta chunks are golden

1 comment:

  1. I have made this quiche on numerous occasions and is very tasty when warmed.

    I sometimes make two smaller versions using the same quantity of ingredients

    ReplyDelete